- It was 91F (33C) at my mom's house and the farmer's market today, no wonder I felt incredibly tired afterwards.
- We've had more heatwaves this fall than I can remember. And a three-year drought, everything is kinda crispy, including me.
- It's Fleet Week in SF, I saw three propeller planes flying in tight formation on Thursday and a distant bit of the Blue Angels from the Richmond Bridge today. I'm a bit conflicted about the whole thing, they're noisy and it's a blatant waste of gas, but they are also amazingly good at doing acrobatic tricks at awesome speeds, incredibly closely. Kindof the Olympic gymnasts of jets.
- Work is... weird. I keep catastrophising and things keep working out.
I'm going to stop there for the moment. And try to post again sometime.
The earthquake this morning was strong and long enough to wake us all up, but not enough to break anything in our house. Considering the bookhenges, that's pretty mild.
We're 40 miles from the epicenter though, and it was a bit worse up there. Some of the oldest buildings in California are in Napa and while they mostly stayed standing, a lot of decorative facing bits and bricks fell over. Some trailer homes fell off their foundations and some collapsed. But this was a relatively light one, 6.1, and the California building codes are quite strong, so it could have been worse.
The SF Chronicle local newspaper has a good story
and the US Geological Survey has the definitive data
So it's not the Big One, like the 1960 San Francisco earthquake, which was a 7 (10 times as strong as a 6). We're going to be in so much shit when that one comes...
- We went to Guardians of the Galaxy last night. It was cute, but by far best enjoyed with a kid, though we were disappointed by the Bechdel test failure.
- Said kid is having a meltdown in the bathroom after the first week of being a Junior Counselor at dance camp. Fourteen is such a hard age, everything is so intense.
The Lay of Dwalin the Dwarf
by Glorfindel (aka zana16
Stellar fanfiction, set after events of The Hobbit, with great setting and characters that fit into the source, and enough gorgeously-written UST to sink a battleship! Also a great trans character, politically brilliant Dis, sympathetic Elves, and mine worker organizing, which in my book is a giant plus.
It's mainly movieverse as there isn't much to go on in bookverse, but (probably) AU in some important ways. It's also epic: a complete series of 4 works, 205,982 words.
Fic like this makes me so happy to be in fandom.
Under Ex-Googler CEO, LiveJournal Gets A Revamp, Promises New Services, Apps And More In 2014
LiveJournal wants to matter again, and is making a number of changes over the course of 2014 which the company hopes will make it a more relevant social networking destination, starting with a major revamp of its homepage and user interface, rolled out into beta just yesterday. On the horizon, the company is also promising several new services as well as new mobile apps, in an overarching vision that sounds as if it wants to find a new niche for itself as something of a competitor to Medium.
Though LiveJournal isn’t interested in specifically detailing these new services today, the company would say that they’re designed to help bloggers “highlight their best content and amazing writing,” plus help readers better network, and bring “location aspects into long form.” In other words, a lot like the modern blogging platform Medium.
Plus, the company isn’t beyond stretching into other, not as social areas, too. For example, it’s also exploring the idea of helping users run e-commerce shops on its site – something that many of its users in Singapore do today.
I want to commemorate this moment when I spent a half hour looking out the window, marveling at my luck of living in this gorgeous place and riding the fancy bus instead of driving.
I thought about Stuff, including a couple of failures, and did not instantly spiral into brainweasels reminding me of Everything That Is Wrong In My Life. Nice! I vaguely remember being basically happy, and wow do I miss this.
- I wore my bra inside out the whole day.
- failed to see the Captain America movie, or otherwise leave the house, except:
- succeeded in taking girlchild to her middle-eastern drumming event and short performance
- succeeded in doing three loads of laundry
- failed to do the taxes (which should be EASY this year as we are not self-employed)
- succeeded (?) in reading a ton of angsty hobbitfic, and not so angsty, some captured in my ao3 hobbitfic bookmarks
- failed to go grocery shopping
I am going to regret the failures tomorrow.
- Much Ado About Nothing (the Tennant-Tate filmed play)
- The Princess Bride
- Young Frankenstein
- Legally Blonde
- Due South (Season 2)
- I, Claudius
I guess it's better than just reading the Mad Magazine parodies, which is what I did as a kid, as my parents were not big on movie going. I've never actually seen The Godfather or Planet of the Apes (shuddup, I'm old).
We could like meet up? I'll probably be wearing a big grey scarf and a leaf pin.
The fact that I'm leaving the house makes it a big damn deal for me. Not really planning a line party or anything.
Anyway, comment or dm or email if you'll be there?
So. I liked sleeping late this US holiday weekend. When my kid moves out, I'm sleeping late all the time. I did a bit of work, including finishing a non-profit client's report even though I ran out of billable hours. We had an early Hanukkah/Thanksgiving family party last weekend. Then teengirl went with my mom to our Very Christian cousins in Texas. Twenboy may have an event-producing temp job with our SIL this month: he thinks he deserves a cool programming job but has not done enough to make it through an interview :-/
But still, hey, the next Hobbit movie premiere is tomorrow! It's livestreaming on Facebook
, whatever the hell that means, at 6:30 PST on Dec. 2. Two of the prettiest Dwarf actors (Aidan and Dean) answered random questions on Facebook
. My Tumblr friends are squeeing with glee
. The RPF will be epic :-D
I find the term 'sleep pants' jarring, but lots of fanfic writers seems to love it. Why is this? Granted, there's an American (pajamas) vs. British (pyjamas) spelling thing. But it seems odd.( in which I do some sleuthingCollapse )
My only conclusion is that there's a generation that thinks pajamas only come in sets. I blame capitalism.
Why yes, I am procrastinating on weekend work that I want to do because it really needs to be done and I faffed around a lot this week.
says it comes from Star Wars fandom, which makes sense, 'pajamas' is a 19th century word and even concept.
Teengirl and I are finishing Buffy, and jeez Season 7 is wrenching. I sometimes hide behind the laptop.
So we looked around for other things, and just started Due South, which is actually better than I remember from my first attempt to watch a few years ago. Watching with her is definitely fun!
But she doesn't know anything about Superman, how weird. I would like advice about the best comic anthology or movie to fill this void in her pop culture education: what would you recommend?( TAJ and workCollapse )
This is like Yultide in June: "Not Ready For Prime Time (Fandoms), or otherwise known as Not Prime Time, is a gen, het, femslash, and slash multifandom secret fiction exchange for medium sized fandoms. This is for the fandoms that are no longer eligible for Yuletide but are not megafandoms."
LOTR RPF qualifies, as we only have about 3,200
works on AO3. Right now, the nomination list
only has Sean Astin and Elijah (scroll to RPF and open the section).
The process is pretty much like Yuletide. In the FAQ
, they suggest that only people planning to participate in the exchange submit nominations:
You may request up to 4 fandoms, minimum of 3. The maximum of characters you can request in one fandom is 4. If you’d like to request fic about a group of characters, don’t forget to nominate the ensemble during nominations (as an example, on AO3, The Lord of the Rings fandom has a character tag called The Fellowship of the Ring to denote a specific group of characters)
Here are the Nominations Page
-- nominations closing April 12 at midnight Pacific time
Hope someone will enjoy this, thanks to lbilover
for explaining this. A shame it's for fic and not other kinds of fanworks too.
I've been very bad at commenting and replying to email, and I'm sorry for keeping people hanging. Bit of a midlife career crisis and existential angst.
Also, I have gotten incredibly terse lately. Not sure why, please don't ever take it personally?
Orlando and his wife Miranda Kerr canoodling a bit, at the Global Green event. I love that she seems to be squeezing his non-existent ass
Billy photo op at the same event
Elijah DJed in Moscow, and a fantastic interview with him (in the Daily Mail of all places!)
And Dom tweeted:
Off to do ridiculousness. Air date to follow. Billy has just left my house. It feels like a haunted tomb. I'm just holding myself tight.
You know what's weird? Dom's using an icon in twitter almost exactly the same as one I started using 10 years ago. So, happy fanniversary to me!
(thanks to karin_woywod, mayfrayn for the pictures & links)
Hobbit RPF fic is getting pretty good, satisfying my Lotrips habit. It seems to be centered at the Hobbit Kink Meme RPF prompt post
and I'm saving my bookmarks with some recs
. I'm madly in love with Graham McTavish, who is a darling on twitter
I find myself also reading Hobbit movie fandom fics, unlike LOTR, it's very odd. I like the odd pairings (you probably knew that) and long detailed fics and am surprisingly OK with brother incest, though not much for mpreg or kidfic (bookmarks
I wish there was a good place to be fannish together -- the meme and AO3 and Tumblr are deeply unsatisfying.
Also! there are photos on the Internet of Billy and Orlando shopping in LA last week, with HUGS, warms the cockles of my fangirl heart!( paparazzi warningCollapse )
TORn Tuesday: an hour and a half of Billy and Dom hanging out with Cliff Broadway, plugging their various projects (especially Dom's Wild Things
), answering fan questions, and clowning everyone's amusement, especially their own. Includes: responding to the name Monaboyd, laughing at their own ignorance of Spanish, Billy talking Dom into going to DragonCon this year, and repeated fart jokes. more gifs on tumblrInterview video part 1
, and part 2
(links via sandelwoodliveblog by ayerlind on tumblr, part 1
, part 2
I have a bunch of screenshots
(I stopped uploading at 24) and all the sound in one 45MB or three smaller files, if anyone wants them.
So not over this fandom.
by the RingCon people, March 31 to April 1 in Bonn, Germany. They have 10 of the Dwarves appearing, including the young ones, but not Richard Armitage :-/ RingCon reports have been so much fun to read over the years, so if you can go, consider it (how I wish I could)!
found this via ourdramaqueen
GIP as I'm feeling less lotrippy these days. Though slashababy
fics are up and really good!
So I'm still existing. Job hunting. Finishing annual LOTR rewatch with the girlchild. Life too boring to contemplate.
overall reaction: I went in hoping for the best, it kept quite close to the book (which is slight), too much action and suspense (literally) for me, overall B+/A-( feelings and spoilersCollapse )
I liked the 3D pretty well, and the fast frame rate and how clearly I could see the faces. But maybe it was where I was sitting, all the backgrounds looked fuzzy. Did anyone else notice this?
The very best part for me was watching my daughter react, she loved it!
From the lotrproject
: a field guide to identifying dwarves, based on beard color, baldness, braids, etc. ( Also, apparently, Dwarves have balls of stone, pose nude for calendars, share rings, play musical chairs, and provide background for music videosCollapse )
- I'm trying hard to feel the Hobbit movie love, I could have done without the Denny's and Microsoft tie-ins. But the six-week pre-filming Dwarf Book Camp has interesting possibilities, and here's a checklist of which dwarf is which. Speaking of which, Happy Birthday to caras_galadhon!
- I noticed that Photobucket is sticking people's "real" names in the titles of pages, even when the name isn't visible otherwise. They did that to a person in LoTriPS, she was Not Happy to find out about that. Delicious was doing a similar kind of auto-personalization recently, so if you are keeping your fannish and other online personas separated, go check both sites!
- Dominic Monaghan's trying to be the David Attenborough for the next generation, he has a show about nature and rare animals, Dom's Wild Things. British people can watch it on Fridays or online, it's coming to BBCA and Canada in January. I happen to know that tunnel bear works too.
- found somewhere: a serious survey on non-monogamy (link anonymized)</a>
- A friend's interest was piqued by Sean Bean in Accused and she is looking for reliable and positive resources on cross dressing that might answer some respectful questions. Any good communities or sites?
- Apparently Rachel Weisz and Viggo will be acting together in the next Cronenberg film, that much combined seriousness and gorgeousness makes me sigh! Also, smartass Robert Pattinson.
- ways to make LiveJournal behave itself, using the URL parameter style=mine to avoid seeing the crappy wide interface for a while at least.
- slashababy lotrips holiday fic exchange (10th anniversary, I just realized that!)
- a gorgeous photo of Sean Astin and Billy from RingCon! I tried to make an icon but it was all muddy :-(
(via astinland and seanastinfan.blogspot.com -- there's more here)
- I finished our 2011 taxes! (self-employment made things complicated, extension runs to October 15 so it was a Deadline)
- Had a scare at work but did not get fired, just asked to telecommute more. My contract's up in December and is not getting renewed mainly because my boss wants someone to be her acolyte rather than her equal. Sigh.
ETA: fixed the LJ link, d'oh
It's international book week. The rules: Grab the closest book to you, turn to page 52, post the 5th sentence as your status. Don't mention the title. Copy the rules as part of your status.
The very worst are famous new buildings, would-be famous new buildings, imitation famous buildings, and imitation imitation buildings.
(that's actually the third sentence, as #5 is annoying out of context)
(I'm still alive, just very out of it, not sleeping well at all)
Girlchild likes anime and manga, draws chibis, and would like to learn Japanese. We have a couple of simple iOS apps and intro books, but she's gone through those really fast -- she's willing to work hard at it.
So, are there some really great books or apps or online classes? Rosetta Stone? I couldn't find any local classes in Berkeley or Oakland, though I'll keep looking around.
I'm surprised to find myself wishing she was learning Chinese, as it seems like it would be more useful in the future.
ETA: she's 12 and prefers fairly structured classes, and is more a casual than intense manga fan.
I'm here, I'm working my ass off at work, and reading journals and twitter and tumblr and fic (lotrips and otherwise) all the time I'm not working (while feeling guilty because there are so many other things I should be doing). But I mostly can't get myself to type anything.
My occasional actual recs are on http://diigo.com/user/msilverstar
but rather than paralyze myself because I can't be articulate, I've started putting links without comments to fic in all fandoms that I'm reading in http://pinboard.in/u:msilverstar
. So that's what it is.
Peter Jackson: "I know I speak for a company of hobbits, dwarves, elves and orcs when I say that this city holds a special place in all our hearts. We cannot think of a more perfect way to send The Hobbit off into the world than to celebrate with a huge party here in Wellington, where the journey began."
source: Party in wings for Hobbit premiere
(NZ Dominion Post) via TORn
(I am trying to break my fandom drought, come squee with me?)
ETA: added PJ as the source of the quote
ETA2: I didn't mean to say I could go to NZ, it's all virtual online squee for me
I'm enjoying everyone's fannish glee very much! Sherlock on US TV, Hobbit news, ongoing XMFC lurve, and the new Avengers, it's like a contact high :-Dalittledizzy
has an Avengers prize giveaway
going through May 12, with buttons and glasses and stuff, enjoy!